Monday, November 19, 2012

Who Knew?


Diwali

So this past week was Diwali, the Festival of Lights.  This is celebrated by firecrackers (lots of them), lanterns everywhere, Christmas lights, colored sand designs in front of doorways, and lots of sweets.  It celebrates the return of the beloved king turned Hindu deity, Ram, from exile.  It is also celebrated by work and school holidays.  Some of the brothers came up with the idea to have a 2 day seminar about being light to the world. 

Of course this meant planning full two day seminar with notice of a day and a half.  We had a nice turnout and it was a very encouraging time.  At the end of each day we had a candle lighting ceremony.  We learned/sang songs about being light and it was a very moving time: Faces aglow with candlelight and Indian voices booming in the small room. 

On another note, I have discovered that I am not impervious to culture shock.  There, I said it.  Lately I have been feeling easily agitated and tense.  Also, I want to sleep all of the time. 

“I don’t experience culture shock.  I’m above the normal human experience.”

Well, out of curiosity, I just googled “culture shock” and clicked on the Wikipedia article.  Rather comical.  Talk about a mirror.  You should do this.  The timing isn’t quite the same for me; I think that mine has been accelerated.  Read the section on transition shock.  Ignore the last two points and the word “suicide.”  This description is rather accurate.

“What do you know…I’m a human.  I’m not just a rock wall that is completely resistant to influences of culture and location…Who knew?”

Coping mechanisms of choice: Two days alone, Work, Chips and Salsa and Queso, Quesadillas, Apple Cider, Christmas Music, Long walks

No comments:

Post a Comment