Thursday, December 20, 2012

Stuff Indians Say


(And internal American gut-reactions)

 
“Come.”
(“Don’t tell me to come.  I’ll walk when I want to!”)

·         This is something that almost everyone says when leaving a house, crossing a street, or getting in any vehicle

“You know, the fat one.”
(“Yes, I know, but why do you have to say it out loud.”)

·         This is accompanied by what I would call ‘chicken wings’ made by extending the elbows.
·         Also, this goes along with a general openness about commenting on my weight.  Just this week I have been told that I have “become thin” and that I have “put on weight.”

“Where it is?”  “Why you are laughing?”
(“Where WHAT is?” “Well, tell me…”)
 
·         Included in this category are all questions with the verb and subject un-inverted.  This is probably because in Hindi, a question word is just added to the sentence without changing the word order.  Also, there is a general lack of the word ‘do.’

“It helps the digestion.”
(“But, how?”)

·         The reasoning behind eating almost anything is because it aids in digestion.

“Let’s make a move.”  Not to be confused with, “Make a motion.”
(“Moves like Jagger?”)

·         The first means “Let’s Go” and the second means, well, you know…#2

“Do you want to get fresh?”
(“Not with you I don’t!”)

·         This is commonly said to someone after they have arrived at your house following a journey of any length.  The American translation would be “Would you like to freshen up?”

“What to do. (?)”
(“Do with what?”)

·         This phrase means “But what could I do?”  or “I can’t do anything about it.”
·         Example: “That monkey charged me, so I threw my banana at it.  What to do. (?)”

“So are you going to marry and Indian man?”
(“Are YOU going to marry an Indian man?”)

·         This response was thought, but not said, in response to a nun asking me this question.  I have also had numerous friends and a dermatologist ask me this question. 

 

1 comment: