Thursday, December 13, 2012

They Aren't Scary


I want to write about people.  Different people.  People that aren't like me and probably aren't like you either.  They weren't raised in a cul-de-sac.  They have probably never set foot inside a church building.  They don’t know what Sonic is.  But they are people.  I have something very simple to say about them: They aren't scary.

Here in India I have encountered more variety of people from more geographical origins and more religious beliefs than I ever have up to this point in my life combined.  I have watched them.  That may sound creepy and maybe it kind of is, but I just want to share a couple small pictures with you.

Sikhs
My next door neighbors for the past 3 months are Sikhs.  In the few times I have interacted with them this is what happened:
-The father brought chocolates for Jeremy and Angela.
-The family attended Jeremy’s birthday party and gave him one of the coolest toys.
-The youngest son and daughter came to Angela’s birthday party.  While there, the boy entertained the group of maybe 35 for half an hour with his magic tricks and antics. 
-The daughter always smiled at me and says hello when she rides past on her bike.

Muslims
On a train to a nearby city, I was able to sit behind a large Muslim family.  Yes the father was wearing a white tunic and skull cap.  Yes the mother and daughters were wearing burkas.  This was probably the cutest family I have ever seen.  The smallest boy was precious, with his big chocolate colored Indian eyes.  The family adored him as they passed him from lap to lap.  The father’s adoration was most obvious.  He would grab the small boy of maybe three and kiss him over and over and over again as he squealed out little giggles.  Then the father would point at me over his shoulder (as a white girl, I do stick out).  The little boy would grin at me and then dart behind a family member.  This game proceeded off and on for the next 5 hours.  Precious.

All I have to say is: They aren't scary.  They aren't out to get you.  There are people. They need Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, apparently my comment didn't make it on here last week. Just so you know someone's reading this,these were my thoughts (I think):

    AMEN! They AREN'T scary. I'm still surprised at some of the reactions I get from some people when I tell them I would love to work in a Muslim culture, as it shifts the gears of the otherwise seemingly pleasant "Oh, you want to be a missionary" dialogue.

    Also, I am glad to hear a small update on our dear neighbors. They are the sweetest. Jeremy and Angela are defineitly going to get big chocolate tummies if they continue to live there!

    You also made me miss a very interesting train ride we had with some Muslim men from Kerala who were kinda double booked in our compartment.

    "They aren't out to get you. They're people. They need Jesus."

    ReplyDelete