Sunday, November 17, 2013

Longing to Return: A Time to Mourn

Today marks the 4 year anniversary of leaving a place very dear to me: Namwianga.  I am torn about how to feel because society says things like, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened."  Well that is all well and good, but I believe that there is a time for everything: "...a time to weep, and a time to laugh, a time to mourn, and a time to dance..."

So today I mourn for a time that I will never get back.  I mourn for children I will never hold again.  I mourn for friends that I will never see or hear from again on this earth.  I mourn for adventures that are over and for lessons that have been long learned now.  I mourn for the relationships that I had with my classmates that have dimmed over the span of time and distance.  I mourn as I read through my Zambian journal and remember the goodbyes that I wrote about:

"As I was walking away, she told me to wait and asked for a kiss.  I kissed her on the cheek and she didn't wipe it off.  There is no word to describe how much I love that 5 year old girl. She told me that she loved me too."

"I said, 'I love you.'  He said, 'I love you.'  Then I asked for kiss and he gave me one.  I have never been so happy to have the snotty face of a little boy pushed up against mine as I was in that moment."

"...we drove down that beautiful tree lined road to the Havens and my heart shattered.  I will never have this again."

But I do not mourn as those who have no hope.  I have the hope that just as Jesus promised, those who mourn will be comforted.  I have hope that I will have something better after this world, even if I will never have it again in this world.

This is a poem that I wrote just after I arrived back in the States.  I still long for this.

Return

I want to see the Jacarandas, Bright above the sand.
I want to walk a mile just to hold a tiny hand.
I want to sing and dance and talk
Where people understand.
I want to leave the task by task,
Return to that still land.

I long to feel connections and not minutes slipping past.
I long to comfort those in pain, not stare with eyes aghast.
I long to walk and pray and dwell
On things I know will last.
I long to be a hand of God,
Help the weak to hold Him fast.

But I’m not there, for I am here so distant from my heart.
I have to face the future, seeking what life can impart.
I want to remember everything,
With mem’ry I’ll not part.
I’ll use the past and clean the slate,
Give this place a fresh new start.

So, I’ll see the Jacaranda’s warmth in a smile so sweet, unplanned.
I’ll walk many more miles holding to a larger hand.
I’ll go and sing and dance and talk,
Help people understand.
As I wait, someday I know I will

Return to that still land.

1 comment:

  1. Your words make me cry, dear writer. You are a beautiful soul. I remember when I first read that quote from Dr Seuss about not crying because it's over. I thought to myself, oh, that's sweet . . . sort of. But it actually unsettled me. I was never quite sure why. Until recently, that is, when I read someone say that although Dr Seuss wrote a lot of great things, that particular quote wasn't one of them. "Don't be the Grinch who stole grief," this person said (can't remember where). Thank you for being still in the pain, and even for holding me in mine. More than that, thank you for holding on to hope, and extending it to others. Love you dear sister! ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete