Wednesday, October 3, 2012

First Things First


If I were to sit here and type out all of the “first” experiences that I have had….well, you would get bored and skim to the end where I would have some kind of conclusion and witty thought.  So to spare you the details of my first shower in India, my first Chai in India, and so forth, I will simply record some of the most notable.

My First Solo Excursion

I decided that I needed to get a card for a friend and that I needed to venture out into the neighborhood on my own.  While this may seem so adventurous, you must understand that Tammy* sat me down and drew me a detailed map to the card shop first.  With my map in my bag and something slightly less active than butterflies in my stomach, I whisked myself out the door before I could get nervous.  The card shop is literally a 5-10 minute walk from the house, but along the way I could just look around.  I had no children to hold on to or other people to talk with as I went, so I could just look.  It is amazing how much more you see just by yourself.  It was a nice little moment with just God and me.  The shop owners were so kind and even asked if Tammy sent me.  I got two cards, one for good measure.  This is a little embarrassing in retrospect: but I was so proud of myself.  Proud in the way a baby is when it first stands up...

My First Hindi Rickshaw Directions

After a wonderful corporate retreat in a suburb of our city, my business associates and I were coming back to our neighborhood in the city.  You must understand that between all of my business associates, there are eight children.  So traveling in crowded trains and rickshaws is quite the adventure.  When we arrived in our area at the train station, we still needed to take a rickshaw back to the house.  We all scurried to shove our luggage and children into two rickshaws and hopped in before they had a chance to tell us no.  As soon as we started driving, however, I looked around the rickshaw.  Then I asked my business associate who was visiting from another city,

“Do YOU know how to get to the house?”

“Well, I should…but, no.”

“Uh, ok…I’ll do my best.”

Everyone who know how to get there all ended up in the other rickshaw.  At first I didn’t know if I could do it.  But then I started to recognize landmarks.  I had seen Tammy do this a dozen times.  So I just started spouting out directions in Hindi.  Magically (actually by the Lord’s provision), we made it straight home with no problems.  Nothing like necessity to figure out how to do something.

First Ganesh Festival

So I’m not a pro at explaining this, but I arrived in India on the first day of the Ganesh festival.  I think it spans the course of 11 days.  Every night there would be dancing and firecrackers in the streets around a large Ganesh statue.  It is a time of extreme idolatry.  On the 9th and 11th days everyone takes their Ganesh to a body of water to immerse it.  These are called immersion days and the traffic from them is terrible.  Just imagine maybe 8-10 million people all flocking to the water at one time.  So strange.  So sad.  To echo the words of a very wise 4-year-old , “I will never ever bow down to those statues.  Only bow to God!”

 

*The names of people referenced in this blog have been changed to protect the brothers and sisters in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment