Friday, May 17, 2013

Treasure


Well, I had thought that after some time I would write about re-entry into American culture.  But, you know, it hasn't been that bad.  I can’t really put my finger on why: I have already done it once, I missed people, Prayers.  It almost feels wrong to not be freaking out.  But I’m totally not going to let myself pull that “feeling bad for not feeling bad” stuff.

The strangest thing has been moments where I totally forgot something.  It is hard to recall incidents of this because after one moment of déjà vu, the details just mold right back into my picture of the way things are.  Little things like door knobs and light switches.  Or brushing teeth with tap water. 

I think one of the trickiest things to navigate is not having someone to experience the memories with.  When “This one time in India” gets old to everyone else, I can’t turn to someone and say “Remember that one time in India…”  I just remember to myself.  Hindi is almost like my own secret code now…which is cool, but is also ironic considering that it is the 3rd most spoken language in the world.  I miss people that nobody around me now even knows.  

It is easy to let myself get down about this.  But I’m reminded of something very simple that a friend wrote to me sometime around the beginning of the year: “Happy last few months in India.  Treasure them.”  This really struck me then and it continues to resonate with me now.  It reminded me of Luke 2:19.  “Mary treasured up all of these things, pondering them in her heart.”  This may seem like a stretch.  I’m under no delusion that my life experience is anywhere as unique as Mary the mother of Jesus Christ.  However, this did plant the idea in my head that these experiences might be a gift from God that is just a treasure for me, something to just keep in my heart that is special.  Don’t be misled though!  I will talk your ear off about India if you ask me to.   But if you don’t, that’s ok too. 

In other news, I have decided to continue this whole blogging thing.  No life is composed of only the “exciting” parts of international travel.  Actually it can be pretty exciting at home too.  Regardless, please continue to read.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment