Thursday, November 1, 2012

Nepal News


So Nepal is an amazingly beautiful country.  If you ever get the chance to go there, you should.  The government is not paying to say this.  I speak of my own volition.  Noteworthy things about Nepal include but are not limited to:

Time
I thought that India Standard Time was janky with the 10 ½ hour time difference from Central Standard Time in the US.  Wait for it…Nepal is 15 MINUTES later than India.  Why even bother?

Language
Nepali is closely related to Hindi with some similar words and structure.  It also uses the same script.  This means that I can read street signs and billboards, but much like Hindi, I have no idea what they mean.

Mountain Math
3 Tallest Mountains in US:
-McKinley, Alaska, 20,320 ft.
-Saint Elias, Alaska, 18,009 ft.
-Foraker, Alaska, 17,400 ft.

3 Tallest Mountains in the Annapurna Himalayan Range:
-Annapurna I, 26,545 ft. (10th Tallest in the World)
-Annapurna II, 26,040 ft.
-Annapurna III, 24,787 ft.

[Creative names, I know]

Greeting
Namaste is used more in Nepal than in India.  It is accompanied by the “praying hands” gesture in front of your face.

Marriage
Customarily arranged marriages are the way to go in Nepal, much like in India.  However, I was unprepared for an older brother who approached me after church services in Kathmandu.
"Are you married?"
"No, I'm not."
"Stay here and I will find you a Nepali man."
"Well, we have to go back to India..."
"Don't marry an Indian man.  They only want your money.  Nepali men aren't like that."
"Ok, well...[insert mumblings about how I'm happy and I have to work in Mumbai, so I can't stay]"

P.S.
You may think that I am high maintenance and whiny, but I would like to publicly state just how much I loathe leeches.  They are disgusting creatures and I hate them.

2 comments:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4IsuYFQazA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just listened to this song yesterday! This video was filmed in the "holy" city of Varanasi. It is said that dying in Varanasi will bring salvation. The river in this video is the Ganges, a "holy" river where the dead are placed. Namaste-literal translation: "I greet the divine in you." Redemptive analogy alert.

    ReplyDelete