Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Parmeshwar ne Chidiyo ko Banaya


This past week was a big week: Thanksgiving and Jeremy’s first birthday.

Thanksgiving Highlights

What a busy, crazy, and thrilling day.  Almost everything that happened on this day was noteworthy, but I will try to condense it all.  Our meeting at one of the top hospitals was extremely successful.  We will be renewing our contract and will be working together in the weeks to come on an advertising campaign.  Unlike the meeting the day before in which our business contact couldn’t stop yawning and rubbing his face, these business people were extremely accommodating and friendly. 

Next we got McDonald’s and ate it in the back of a rickshaw.  Extremely hilarious.  I can only imagine what ran through the Indians’ minds that saw us: Cokes sloshing and ketchup dripping in our business suits speeding through traffic. 

I also got Henna, or as they call it here, Mendhi.  I feel so cool.  It is like I have a tattoo, but with no pain and no real commitment.  Thanksgiving dinner was an incredible spread considering our resources and our only oven being a toaster oven.  I stuffed myself with sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, roasted chicken, bread, corn on the cob, reconstituted cranberries, stuffing, pumpkin soufflé, apple crisp, and sparkling mango juice.  Best of all, I got to skype with my family. 

Jeremy’s Highlights

In India, the first birthday is a big deal.  I’m not talking cake and presents with a house full of guests.  I’m talking 200 guests in a rented hall with catered food and a meticulously detailed program. 

I got to see people that I have only met once or twice.  I also got to meet new people.  Because of my camera, I was dubbed the photographer.  So I spent most of the night snapping pictures with an intermission of bathroom runs with the little girls.  The night was a blast, but let me tell you…schmoozing takes it out of me.  I was totally pooped.

PS-This week I also read my first Hindi sentence that I understood.  It is the title of this post.  Translation: God created sparrows.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment